York Habitat for Humanity Looking For Worksite Supervisor
York Habitat for Humanity has announced that the organization is seeking a new full time site supervisor. A Habitat site supervisor is the staff member who works on a build site, overseeing the operation and the volunteer labor. This position would report directly to Construction Manager George Myers.
“This position requires someone with a strong construction background and will be able to train and direct construction volunteers,” said Myers. “Since almost all of the construction on York Habitat homes is handled by volunteers, this is a very important position in our organization. Our site supervisor is our most visible and consistent point of contact with the community.”
A Habitat site supervisor, along with a background in construction, must be able to work with and teach volunteers, all while working within accordance to York Habitat for Humanity plans, specifications and quality requirements.
To apply for this position; go to Indeed.com and use
York Habitat Site Supervisor, York PA in search.
York Habitat for Humanity has completed 124 new homes in York County and each of those builds required thousands of hours of volunteer labor. Currently, Habitat has two projects underway with a duplex project on west Locust Street reaching its final stages.
For more information on the position and on how to apply, stop by the York Habitat for Humanity website at www.yorkhabitat.org.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: CONSTRUCTION SITE SUPERVISOR
York Habitat for Humanity (YHFH)
Position Description: Construction Site Supervisor
Reports To: Construction Manager
Employment Status: Part-Time/Full-Time, Hourly / Non-Exempt from FLSA
Supervises: Construction Volunteers
THE ORGANIZATION: York Habitat for Humanity, Inc. (YHFH) is the York, Pennsylvania affiliate of Habitat for Humanity, International, and ecumenical, Christian housing ministry.
JOB FUNCTION: The Site Supervisor is the onsite staff person responsible for the volunteer labor.
- In accordance with YHFH plans, specifications, and quality requirements, provides leadership to construction activity, including paid and unpaid workers.
- Works closely with Construction Manager to ensure materials and service needs are provided in a timely manner to the job sites.
- Anticipates problems and issues typical of this ministry and personally acts on them if necessary to help ensure schedules are met and work plans are enabled.
- Identifies volunteer jobs/needs not currently filled and communicates needs to Construction Manager.
- Suggests potential advantageous building practices and material cost saving opportunities to Construction Manager.
- Maintain construction equipment and vehicles, assuring that they are kept clean and in safe working condition, repair or remove equipment from site that does not meet safe working conditions or that is in need of service or maintenance
- Trains and directs on-site construction volunteers
- Engages future homeowners with respect and dignity, striving to make their construction involvement meaningful
- Understands elements that contribute to successful volunteers and helps ensure that volunteers have a consistently good experience, thus motivating them to return.
- Evaluates and implements good safety practices and constantly stresses safety with volunteers.
- Ensures that communications to volunteers are accurate and timely.
- Ensures that all volunteers sign-in, signatures/addresses/emails are legible, and liability waiver forms are signed when needed.
- Signs Sweat Equity forms for homeowners and forms for Community Service volunteers (probation, schools)
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Considerable knowledge and experience in the construction/contracting business
- Ability and patience to teach construction skills to unskilled laborers
- Saturday work required.
- Compassionate approach to leadership in keeping with the Habitat ministry.
- Must be a good listener and be able to engage in discussions, while also balancing the work that needs to be accomplished.
- Must have good anticipatory skills and personally act on same as needs arise
- Must be willing to understand the big picture of the Habitat Ministry and know that construction is only a part of the larger goal.
Machines, Equipment, and Specialized Tools Appropriate to Function Include: Must have valid driver’s license and reliable transportation, strong construction knowledge and skills, and excellent interpersonal skills.